Wednesday 24 April 2013

Thrissur Pooram - OK so...

So Tidge and I went to a big Hindu festival called the Pooram in Thrissur (now called Trichur) on Sunday.  There were 30 elephants (two rows of 15, facing each other, with 50,000 crazy Hindus between).   There was about an hour of umbrella swapping action (see video - and check out the guys on the elephant nearest us - they were late every time).  I'm not sure the elephants enjoyed it that much but I'll spare you the evidence of that.

We decided to have an adventure, abandon our return flights on the Monday, and get the sleeper on Sunday night back to Bangers.  Unfortunately, we got on the wrong train (to Madras!), so had to get off at a teeny station in the middle of nowhere called Wadakkanchery (in the dark).  Luckily spirits were good, and waiting passengers took pity.  A friendly chai stall holder rang his taxi-driving friend who drove us back to Kochi.  We decided on balance it would be a safer bet on this occasion to fly home after all...  Although it sounds a bit ghastly, it was in fact quite fun. 

2 comments:

Piccia Neri said...

the description of the journey back is hilariously familiar darling – made me giggle no end xx

Chutters said...

How amazing. Poor ellies. Can you bag me a brollie or two when you see them?

Yesterday, just to keep you in the Cumbrian loop, it snowed. Vellore is for sale, listed in The Week. Bear didn't eat my new packet of foundation because I bought a glass one; but a jackdaw did find its way into my study and crap on my laptop. I have an awful feeling I'm not going to get the dosh together to come and visit you. I hope I'm wrong. A heap of love to you both. xxxx